Experienced Train Accident Attorney
Train accidents are more common than many people think, leading to almost 900 deaths across the U.S. in 2021 alone.
If you or your family member is a victim of a train accident, your life may have been devastated by catastrophic injuries, overwhelming trauma, and extensive medical bills. You need an experienced train accident attorney on your side to help you seek compensation and begin moving forward from this devastating event.
Scherr Law has extensive experience helping victims of train accidents navigate the legal process. Call Scherr Law today at 1-855-SUE-FEDX for help.
Common Causes of Train Accidents
Train accidents can injure pedestrians, occupants of vehicles hit by the train, and even train passengers and train employees. A train derailment can result in explosions that destroy buildings in the vicinity or cause hazardous chemicals to permeate the environment. These accidents can also lead to the release of noxious chemicals that infiltrate waterways or become airborne.
Why do train accidents occur? Common causes of train accidents include:
- Negligent train handling
- Unsafe crossings
- Defective equipment
- Hours of service violations
- Fatigue, alcohol, or drug issues
- Faulty train tracks or control mechanisms
- Trains moving at unsafe speeds
- Unsecured cargo
- Poor rail car positioning
What To Do After a Train Accident
Taking immediate steps after a train accident is necessary to protect your rights. First, assess your injuries and obtain immediate medical attention. If you can, complete the following steps before leaving the scene:
- Photograph the accident site
- Ask law enforcement to enter the locomotive and photograph the dash, and inventory the train crew belongings for drugs, caffeine, alcohol, time logs, and preserve cell phone data
- Ask the reporting officer to create a police report detailing the crew members’ statements that lead to the accident circumstances.
- Identify any other responsible parties and document their responsibility
- Record the contact information of any witnesses.
- Obtain immediate medical attention
Doing so can ensure that you have documentation to present during your claim and can assist with the process of not overlooking underlying injuries that may not present immediately.
Then, contact Scherr Law for an experienced train accident attorney to guide you through the next steps. Approaching your case strategically can improve your case outcomes.
How Can a Train Accident Attorney Help?
You can rely on the experienced train accident attorney at Scherr Law to assist you with the following:
- Pursue a lawsuit against the responsible parties.
- Help you file a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
- Communicate with the insurance company and railroad agent on your behalf.
- Collect evidence to support your claim.
- Negotiate with the insurance company and railroad.
- Handle the trial of your case.
Navigating a train accident case without legal assistance is a recipe for disaster. When you work with the legal team at Scherr Law, you can have qualified legal professionals doing everything they can to assist your case.
Call Scherr Law today at 1-855-SUE-FEDX to schedule your free consultation with a train accident attorney.