According to the US DOT Safer.gov website for FedEx Ground Package Systems safety ratings as of April 2, 2023, FedEx reported 83 fatalities and 906 injuries for the 24 months prior to 4/2/23 without any determination as to responsibility.
How to Hire an Experienced Trial Attorney Who Brings FedEx to Trial
When a FedEx driver’s negligent actions lead to a crash, the injuries to drivers, passengers, bicyclists, and pedestrians can be catastrophic, even fatal. The attorneys at Scherr Law work with accident victims and their loved ones seeking to recover compensation. Please call 1-855-SUE-FEDX to schedule a free consultation.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Attorney After a FedEx Truck Accident?
Though FedEx drivers are supposed to be qualified, trained, and supervised on safety before hitting the road, FedEx crashes happen. According to the United States Department of Transportation Safer.gov site, in the 24 months ending April 15, 2023, FedEx drivers were involved in crashes causing 903 injuries and 84 fatalities. To put things into perspective, these numbers average more than one serious accident per day and more than three fatal incidents each month.
When someone is involved in an accident with a FedEx truck, FedEx, its insurance and its team of lawyers are working as soon as they learn of the crash to defend FedEx. They are motivated to pay victims as little as possible. And, if they can avoid liability altogether, they will not hesitate to leave victims in a lurch.
It’s generally recommended to consult with an attorney after any accident that involves an injury. An experienced personal injury attorney will advise you on the best path to move forward, how to preserve and protect critical evidence, prosecute a lawsuit on your behalf, and eventually be able to negotiate on your behalf with the insurance companies.
For accidents with FedEx drivers, there are many reasons why having legal representation is necessary, including:
- With more than $94 billion in revenue, FedEx has the resources to hire good, aggressive attorneys and the savviest insurance companies to avoid paying big settlements.
- Because FedEx crashes can be severe, if not fatal, the damages tend to be larger. Damages can run well into the 6-figure mark, and damages of more than $1 million are not uncommon.
FedEx has consistently fought to classify FedEx drivers as employees of “independent contractors”. As independent contractors instead of employees, FedEx may even argue that FedEx is not liable for the independent contractor’s actions.
This argument by FedEx could mean that the settlement value FedEx attaches to the driver’s actions are lower than it would be if the driver was a FedEx employee. Sometimes court action is necessary to conclude that FedEx misclassified drivers as contractors. These actions show that FedEx is not above tactics to avoid paying claims.
While a personal injury attorney cannot guarantee specific results, Scherr Law has experience in lawsuits against FedEx and will work diligently to seek fair compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of FedEx Truck Accidents
Commercial motor vehicle drivers are supposed to be qualified, trained, and supervised and undergo job-specific training; FedEx is no exception to this rule. Still, crashes happen.
While there could be other issues in the FedEx organization, driver error is a cause of collisions, including:
- Unsafe driving Failing to obey traffic control devices
- Failing to keep a safe lookout
- Violating right-of-way laws
- Distracted driving
- Failing to yield to drivers or pedestrians
- Parking illegally in a manner that causes sight obstruction or other hazards
- Driving while tired, intoxicated, or on medication
- Unsafe equipment
Potential Compensation Available to FedEx Truck Accident Victims
While no amount of money can help you go back in time and prevent the crash from happening in the first place, FedEx and its drivers should be held financially responsible for causing a crash.
Depending on your case, possible recovery could include compensation for:
- Past and future pain and suffering (including compensation for mental anguish, PTSD anxiety, and other psychological issues)
- Past and future loss of enjoyment of life/ Impairment
- Past and future loss of earning capacity, lost wages
- Past and future medical care
- Past and future disfigurement
- Ongoing medical treatment
- Wrongful death damages
The amount you can recover in a FedEx truck lawsuit generally depends on the severity of your injuries and how your life is impacted due to the incident. Insurance defense attorneys and adjusters will negotiate with your attorney to reach a settlement offer. If an agreement can’t be reached, the case could go to trial, where a jury will determine appropriate damages based on various legal formulas.
In the past, FedEx has reached the following settlements with accident victims:
- $370,000,000 Judgment Paid by FedEx after the Jury trial in New Mexico resulted in a 9-figure jury verdict. JIM SCHERR WAS THE LEAD TRIAL ATTORNEY IN THIS CASE. The accident was the result of a driver hauling 2 FedEx trailers that collided with a small pickup truck. The driver of the pickup truck was a woman traveling with her two young children.
- $8,000,000 Verdict: A Nevada woman was rear-ended by a FedEx truck driver who failed to brake. There were questions about whether an unrelated second accident could have contributed to her injuries, but the woman’s legal team brought in medical experts who provided convincing evidence that the FedEx incident was the cause.
- $125,000 Settlement: A driver in California was cut off by a FedEx driver. His injuries resulted in several months of chiropractic care and multiple epidural injections.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Experienced Trial Attorney to Sue FedEx?
Scherr Law works on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not have to pay any upfront legal fees or be subject to paying for the attorney’s time. Instead, your attorney receives a percentage of the money you recover.
Scherr Law will work on your case, gather evidence, file a lawsuit and prosecute the case to trial, and negotiate with FedEx and its attorneys and insurance companies to seek the best possible outcome for your case.
The Legal Team at Scherr Law is Here to Help FedEx Truck Accident Victims
FedEx and its drivers should be held accountable for their actions, and that includes fairly compensating victims and their loved ones. For a free case evaluation, contact Scherr Law at 1-855-SUE-FEDX,