Former Texas Eighth Court of Appeals Chief Justice Jeff Alley has been a licensed attorney for over 37 years. For 29 years in private practice, he managed a trial and appellate docket, representing parties across the states of Texas and New Mexico. He argued his first appeal to the Texas Supreme Court as a second-year lawyer and handled enough appeals to obtain a Board Certification in Civil Appeals, a distinction shared by less than 400 Texas attorneys. In 2014, Jeff started working for the Texas Eighth Court of Appeals, first as a staff attorney and later as both a Justice and its Chief Justice. While on the bench, Jeff authored over 300 opinions in decided cases.
While in private practice, Jeff was heavily involved in personal injury and wrongful death litigation arising under the law governing product liability, mass tort, toxic, and vehicle/truck accidents. He was invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates, an invitation-only organization that both recognizes experienced trial lawyers and advocates for the preservation of the civil jury trial right provided by the Seventh Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. While at the court of appeals, Jeff researched and authored opinions on every major category of Texas law. Both in private practice and while on the bench, Jeff was a frequent presenter at lawyer education seminars.
Jeff has been actively involved in the El Paso community since 1985. He served for 20 years on the board for the local boy scout council, including three years as its president. He was also president of the Pioneer Association, a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that seeks to preserve the historical legacy of El Paso’s past. He is currently a member of a Rotary club and active in his church.
- Board Certified, Civil Appellate Law, 1997 to present.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (2000-2008)
- El Paso Bar Association (Chairperson, El Paso Bar Association Ethics Committee, 1992-93; Board of Directors 1991-1993; El Paso Young Lawyers Achievement Award, 1988; El Paso Bar Association Outstanding Government Attorney, 2015).
- Qualified mediator under the Texas Civil Practices & Remedies Code.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated attorney; Woodward/White “The Best Lawyers in America” for 2007-2013; recognized by the American Lawyer in their “Top Commercial Litigation Lawyers” list for 2006-2009; Texas Lawyer Super Lawyer, 2007-2014